My motivation for pursuing this project is to confront myself with who I am.
A second motivation in regards to my recent artistic trajectory is to meet the other—this other being that which I resist or other being the spectator and meeting as a way to closely engage ourselves in reflections on the world/forces around us.
To meet the other through the medium of this creation from which a fourth space is created.
The starting point is my own identity.
- How I see myself is different from how others see me.
- First impressions are often based on how one looks, how one behaves, and how one speaks.
- The forces around me define who I am.
- I resist how some people see me. Where does this resistance come from?
In an attempt to understand my resistance and to understand my irresolute and at times capricious identity, I will try to identify with people’s first impressions of me.
- Enter a public context.
- Invite others to tell me who I am.
- Identify with the data.
- With this new identity, repeat steps 1-4.